Below is a recipe for traditional hummus. If you have any tips or other recipes, feel free to comment. I would love to hear about it. Remember Hummus=Healthy!!
Traditional Middle Eastern Hummus
Healthy, Fresh Mediterranean Meal
- 16 ounces of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), soaked in water overnight
- 1 cup of lemon juice or juice of 2 fresh lemons
- 3 Tablespoons tahina paste (can be found in an ethnic food aisle)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt, to taste
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped
1. Place the chickpeas into fresh water (~1 cup) for at least one hour and up to overnight (be sure to leave in the refrigerator).
2. Place the chickpeas into a blender (or food processor). Add the lemon juice, tahina paste, garlic, salt and enough of the water liquid (that the chickpeas were in) to obtain a soft creamy consistency.
3. Place hummus onto a flat plate.
4. Garnish with olive oil, paprika and parsley.
5. Serve with warm pita bread or pita chips for dipping.