“Maklooba”: Upside-Down Mediterranean Chicken, Veggies, Pinenuts and RiceBeef, Chicken, Lamb, Recipe
- 1 large eggplant, sliced
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large potato, sliced
- 1 lb chicken (you can use any parts of the chicken, beef or lamb)
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (I use Maggi brand)
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- vegetable oil for frying
- parsley or pine nuts for garnish (optional)
1. Soak the basmati rice in water for ~30 minutes. (I usually soak it while I am fying the veggies).
2. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan.
3. Add the eggplant (~2 1/2 cups), 1 teaspoon garlic, 1/2 tablespoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and fry the eggplant.
4. Remove and place onto a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
5. Add the cauliflower florets, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and fry the florets.
6. Add the potato 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder to the frying pan and fry potato.
7. Place remaining veggies onto a paper towel to drain excess oil.
8. In a large saucepan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the onion. Cook until onion gets yellowishh in color.
9. Add the 1 lb of chicken. ( I use chicken breasts only since we love white meat and it’s healthier but you can use any part of the chicken or even a whole chicken). Add 2 teaspoons cinnammon, 1 teaspoon allspice, 1 chicken bouillon cube and 2 cups of water.
10. Boil the chicken for about 25-30 minutes on medium-low heat. This will allow the water to have a very tasty chicken flavor. The water should reduced somewhat.
11. Add the fried vegetables directly on top.
12. Drain the rice and add it on top of the fried vegetables and add about 2 more cups of water to ensure rice is covered in water.
13. Cover and let cook for ~40-50 minutes until all of the water is used up.
15. Keep in pot until you are ready to serve. When you are ready, remove cover and place serving dish on top of pot.
16. Quickly flip over and make sure you do not lose any of the ingredients. ( Flip quickly and remove pot slowly.)
16.Serve with yogurt and Jerusalem Salad (recipes are coming soon).
17. Remove the pot. You can garnish with parsley or pine nuts.