Rice with noodles or “RIZ BI SH’ARIEH” is my husband’s absolute favorite type of rice. It is great as a side dish. It can be served with your favorite stew or soup; it can even be served on its own with a great salad. When I first met Will, I had difficulty with getting the noodles just the right color, but I can finally say that I have perfected this dish
I have included my recipe below. If you haven’t tried it yet, I recommend it. Your guests will definitely be pleased, and they will notice that your rice looks and tastes special. I have decorated this one with carrots but you can serve it plain if you would like. Also, I use olive oil instead of butter….gotta stay Mediterranean Healthy
- 1 cup basmati rice (can use any rice though but basmati is my favorite)
- 1/2 cup fine noodles
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
1. Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Wash and drain the rice.
2. Turn on the stove top and heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Fry the noodles for ~ 2-3 minutes until they are a dark golden brown color. Make sure they do not burn.
3. Add the rice, salt, 1 tablespoon olive oil, water and stir.
5. Cover the rice mixture and boil on medium flame until water is nearly all absorbed. Turn off stove top and leave it covered until rice is dry and fluffy.