Fattoush is a very common Mediterranean salad made with fresh toasted, baked or fried pita chips, romaine lettuce and “tons” of vegetables. The vegetables in this salad are cut into relatively larger pieces compared to other traditional salad which has more finely chopped veggies. The key ingredient with Fattoush is Sumac. tabbouleh which requires ingredients to be finely chopped. Sumac gives the salad a tangy, lemon flavor. I use baked pita chips for a healthier version.
- 1 romaine lettuce heart, chopped (~10 leaves or 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped (~3 pieces)
- 1/2 cup radishes, chopped (~4-5 pieces)
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 medium size tomatoes, chopped (remove seeds)
- 1 cup pita chips
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Chop all of the vegetables and place in the bowl.
2. In a small bowl mix the dressing ingredients together: sumac, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil.
3. Cut the pita chips into 1/4 to 1/2 inch bite sizes. Bake them (http://suzyeats.com/baked-garlic-flavored-fattoush-salad-pita-chips/)
4. Mix the vegetables, add the dressing and mix. Top with pita chips.